Sign on to Naviance and complete the list “Colleges I’m Applying to”. Please make sure we have your most current email address in your Naviance profile. You will receive important emails about college and scholarships through Naviance.
Create a Common Application Account. You should watch the video on the Guidance College Planning page before you begin http://portal.norwalkps.org/schools/bmhs/guidance/Pages/NavianceFamilyConnection.aspx
Log in to your Common Application at www.commonapp.org and begin entering your information:
1. When working on your application…under the side “Education” tab you will be prompted to search for your high school. Be sure to select Brien McMahon High School CEEB 070698
2. Complete as much of the data entry of your application as possible.
3. Add at least one college by clicking in on the “College Search”
4. Click on the Assign Recommenders link and look for FERPA Waiver – This is an important step in allowing us to submit your documents through Naviance.
5. Under the FERPA Heading you will see a blue link that says “release Information”. This will lead you through a series of questions you must answer.
6. Common App, along with the Brien McMahon Guidance Department, recommend that you waive your rights to access letters of recommendation written on your behalf, but ultimately this is up to you.
7. Log on to Naviance. https://connection.naviance.com/mcmahon. If you have forgotten your Naviance user name and password contact your counselor
8. Click on the “Colleges” tab and then on “Colleges I'm Applying to”. You should see a screen that asks for your email address. Enter the same Email address you use to log in to your Common App account.
More to complete on your Naviance page:
Game Plan, Questionnaire for Counselor Rec, Resume and any Career Inventory you see.
Begin your college essay
2015-16 Common Application Essay Prompts
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
4. Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma-anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
Free, Personalized Practice for the Redesigned SAT ® Now Available for All Students on KhanAcademy.org