Skip navigation links
NPS District Site Home
Teacher Site (Global)
Skip navigation links
Mr. Fried's Japanese Homepage 


Updated Thursday, November 20th, 2014

The next Japan Trip meeting will be at Ponus Ridge on Wednesday, December 10th, 2014 at 6 p.m.

Please bring your completed Application (two pages,) with two passport-sized photos attached at the top right corner.  Please print your Application neatly. 

Please bring also a xerox copy of the application and the photo, making sure all information is visible.

Please also bring the "Essay On Why I Want To Go To Japan," to the meeting.

Copies of every paper submitted will be left in the United States, and the originals will go to Japan with the Chaperone.

We ask that the students please attend meetings.

The trip will be from May 11 - 21st, 2015. Students will leave the U.S. on May 11th, and arrive in Japan on May 12th, 2015.

There will most likely be three payments.

Please make your check payable to CJSA Middle Schools/Norwalk Public Schools.

If you have exact payment questions, please contact me, Mr. Fried at (203)847-3557, or  Mr. Tischer at Roton Middle School at (203) 899-2930.  

 All students going to Japan must turn in:

(Some of these forms are going to be the same forms as are listed for the Trip To Washington on the Ponus website, as well as on the Japan Trip links on the Ponus and Roton websites.)

1. An application information sheet with a passport-size photo attached

2. A notarized medical form giving permission for medical treatment

3. A signed Behavior code (signed by parent and student)

4. 2 letters of recommendation

5. A "C" average in all classes 

6. A one-page essay "Why I want to go to Japan."

7. Two passport photocopies.  If a student loses his or her passport, the U.S. Consulate/Embassy will want to see the Information page of the Passport, so that it can be replaced.

8. An overnight trip permission form. For each medicine listed on this sheet, a separate Prescribing Doctor's form must be filled out and stamped by the issuing Doctor.

9. Prescription drug forms stamped by the doctor for any item to be ingested while on the trip.  This includes items prescription, and over-the-counter.  If a student, for example, takes three prescription medicines to Japan they would need three separate forms.  If a student takes Tylenol and Pepto Bismol, two additional forms would be necessary.  Some medicines are not available in Japan.

Please call Ponus Ridge and speak with the school nurse if you have any concerns.

Students should now start to think about writing a short self-introduction speech.  Students usually give a self-introduction speech while in Japan.

Students should start to think about what gifts they will want to bring abroad. 

Students should look up Japanese school rules, and begin to purchase the school "uniform."  For boys this will be a white dress shirt, tie if possible, dinner jacket if possible, and either black or blue or grey dress pants.  For girls, this will be a blue or black or grey skirt, and a white dressy shirt.

Gym clothes will also be needed.

Shoes will be needed for the walk to school, and a pair of sneakers to wear while in school.

Please email Mr. Fried at with any questions.

Thank you so much.

Mr. Fried